At 08:24 AM 10/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Richard, you remember Vixie's comments here a while back, right?  "I ain't
>in it for your revolution."  What makes you think that if ICANN fails he
>and the other root server operators are going to engage in some cyber-revolt?
>And if they did, what makes you think that the rest of the net would follow
>them?  People want things to work smoothly.  The current situation, while not
>perfect, offers stability.  If there was some kind of cyber-revolt, most
>likely the USG would step in and instruct the net to take their DNS from
>sites that present the same level of coordination they currently enjoy.

Vixie is an extremist. Back when the birth of news:alt was the bigest
mess on the net he was the only backbone cabal memebr that thought this
would be the death of the net (or so I'm told). There are root server
operators that take the opposite extreme view from Paul. On average
though they're a resonable bunch by anybodys standards.

What's revolution got to do with it ? I'm just saying there's a
tradition of some combinaiton of rough consensus and clueful
administrative fiat that has always opened top level expansion
of any Interent naming system you care to examine, and that
could work here, but not as lonf as the USG is running around
sayinf "we're in charge, we may nopt have a clue what this
is all about but we control everything".

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Sometimes you have to have patience with things that annoy you."