On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Stefan Baur
<newsgroups.ma...@stefanbaur.de> wrote:
> Am 24.04.2012 09:32, schrieb Chris Buechler:
>
>> Nothing formal. To date, once we put out a new release, all prior
>> releases will not get any updates. That will probably especially be
>> true going forward, with much shorter release cycles than we had from
>> 1.2.3 to 2.0, and much fewer changes, hence much less risk of
>> upgrading.
>

> In that case, I'm really curious if in-place upgrading will work for me on
> the newer releases... otherwise I see a lot more work headed my way. :-/

It works in virtually all circumstances and always has. 1.2.3 to 2.0
was a rough upgrade path because pretty much every single portion of
the system had massive changes introduced that included configuration
upgrade code, but even at that, at release time the vast majority of
installs upgraded with no issues at all. 2.0.1 incorporated a few
fixes for 1.2.3 to 2.x upgrades. I'm not aware of any circumstance
since then that won't upgrade correctly, with the only exception being
uncommonly used OpenVPN custom options a very few people used on 1.2.3
that conflict with those used out of the box on 2.x. If any release in
our history would have justified additional maintenance releases it
would have been 1.2.x because of the vast differences going to the
next release. We'll never have another release with even a tenth the
amount of changes that entailed. If some serious security issue on
1.2.3 would have come out shortly after 2.0 release we would have
considered an additional 1.2.x release depending on specifics. And I
can see doing something similar in the future depending on the
conditions involved. Anything that is easily remotely exploitable
would raise things to a level that it would possibly make that doable.
Depends on the component involved. If for instance post-2.1 some major
PHP 5.2 issue comes out that has no resolution aside from upgrading to
PHP 5.3 (5.2 is end of life, though at this point we'd probably figure
out a way to patch it for a 2.0.x rather than upgrading), you'd be
safer running 2.1 which has been fully and widely tested on PHP 5.3
(which required a number of changes) than you would a security updated
2.0.x on PHP 5.3 that didn't have pre-release time for widespread
community and internal QA. In that case we probably wouldn't release a
2.0.x update because it'd be more risky than upgrading to 2.1.