On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Gerald A <geraldabli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lots of commercial firewall makers make updates to their "firmware" or loads
> which they expect you to load on as soon as you can. With those, you get a
> combo of security, bug fixes and "features" which may or may not be helpful,
> and has never given my either a warm or fuzzy feeling.

Yeah that is the norm with most commercial firewall vendors, it's not
like Microsoft where they're stuck supporting an OS for over a decade
after releasing it. Many of them don't support any older versions at
all. Worse in instances where your hardware is obsoleted by the
vendor, they commonly refuse to release any updates for the end of
life hardware's most recent supported OS even if it's not all that old
and would have the requisite specs to run the new OS. I guess it's a
brilliant business plan if your customers accept it.