'x' can be a ligature when it's a symbol for the word 'times'. A screen reader should say 'times' when it finds 'x' in the context of 11 x 5 = 55
(please God, let my maths be right).

'x' can be a ligature when it's a symbol for the word 'by'. A screen reader
should say 'by' when it finds 'x' in the context of 1024 x 768.

Actually in both cases you shouldn't use ‘x’, but × or ×

In this cases ‘×’ is a shortcut to ‘times’ and ‘by’, but technically we can’t call it abbreviation. We could use abbreviation as closest by meaning element, but it sounds little bit dirty, isn't it?