I agree with Jeff on the heavier Series motor idea. My bike is almost
finished. (I was working on it at Jeff Patterson's shop last weekend...sorry
I have been remiss on posting any details on the project) The Patterson
Cycle bikes weigh approx 620lbs on a custom steel frame and use 6 AGM
batteries - currently I'm using 6 Discover Energy EV24A batteries. Jeff's
original bike was the same specs just different batteries. When he used a
standard ADC 6.7" 4 brush motor it would get incredibly hot after 5 to 10
minutes of riding - 10 minutes and you couldn't touch it. We worked with Jim
Husted to design a motor for the bikes. The current motors (in his and mine)
are 7.5" 8 brush series wound motors. They are awesome, after riding till
batteries were tired, the motor was only warm. The current setup is using an
Alltrax 72VDC 450A controller and roughly 5:1 ratio on the sprockets. The
bike has great acceleration and a top speed of 67 MPH (actual - not
calculated). These 7.5" motors are wonderful for the heavier bikes. I
certainly would prefer to wire one motor and have one controller for a
street bike than two motors and or controllers - lots of extra space and
wiring.

You will need to check with Jim, but I think the motors are right around
$900 or so - cheaper than 2 PMG's an only one set of contactors and one
controller.

I took some pictures after the work on Saturday and will get them posted
soon...

Thanks,

Shawn