Unbalanced loading of the two motors doesn't appear to cause anything overly
complicated like you mention. It would be impossible in all practical
respects for one motor to drive the other because even if they are
unbalanced, both will be torqued below their no-load speed all of the time.
They would have to be really far out of balance for this not to be true.
And, it would be easy to test for this. If both motors are drawing above
their no-load current anytime during operating, then they are adding torque
to the drive system.

That being said, the motor/torque speed curves do seem to not be matched
perfect, especially when running motors in opposite directions to each
other. This makes balancing them with current draw a challenge because it
seems to change with speed. For example, I balanced my motors at <20 amps
and low speed first, but this didn't cut it, and one motor got quite a bit
warmer than the other one after a ride. So I tried balancing at a higher
load and higher speed. It still didn't work.

The best method for balancing the motors I've found is using temperature as
feedback. Go for an average ride, then measure the temperature of both
motor's rotor. Adjust the timing of one or both until the temperature is
balanced after a ride. This will ensure maximum safety too, because heat is
what causes things to fry.

Regards,
Andrew in NM