If you are using a Zilla controller, which most EMs are not, then the logic can
be built into the controller as an option and the hairball will control the
switchover for you.  If not you get to build your own circuit, which is not
terribly complicated.   Eihter way the contactors all need to be able to handle
full load, so they are relatively large (for squeezing into a motorcycle) and
expensive.  It works very well.  It's like having a two speed transmission.
You get incredible torque by starting out in series and extend your top speed
by switching to parallel.  For me on a single gear ratio motorcycle however, I
like the simplicity of one larger motor and a controller that can dish out more
amps.

damon

> Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 10:51:19 -0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> listserv@electricmotorcycles.net> Subject: Re: [ElectricMotorcycles]
> series-parallel 2 motors> > and how do you automate the switchover, or is it
> just manual?> > j> > Andrew Wowk wrote:> > To do series/parallel switching I
> think you need two poles, and one of those> > needs to be double throw. So it
> could be done with a DPDT switch for low> > power systems, and a reversing
> contactor for high power systems. Or one SPST> > contactor, and one SPDT
> contactor.> > > > Regards,> > Andrew in NM> > > > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at
> 11:31 AM, damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > > >> You use contactors
> to physically rewire the motors. In series both motors> >> see the same
> current in parallel they both see the same voltage.> >>> >> damon> >>
Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.