Hello,

I just want to tell, that am willing to prepare a log4cxx release.

  Torsten

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: William A Rowe Jr [mailto:wr...@rowe-clan.net]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2016 22:48
An: Log4CXX Dev
Betreff: Re: Help for the Log4cxx podling

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:18 AM, Wiebesiek, Torsten
<torsten.wiebes...@grecon.de> wrote:

        > > If not you, then ...?  Are there other committers who are
interesting
        > > in taking the release mantle, and really give yourself breathing
room
        > > to just improve the code without all the rest of the details?
        >
        > Torsten Wiebesiek seemed interested to read the details about the
        > release process, so we might wait the next days to see what he says.

        I've read the "Guide To Release Management During Incubation" and I have
        to admit, that I have not understood all of it. I am sure, there are
many
        people who can do this job better.

        I am still willing to help out, but I will definitely need help at least
        for the first release.

More than happy to provide mentorship if the project is on a path to releasing
and graduating from the incubator...

        But again, what do we need to keep log4cxx out of the attic?

        - Someone, who prepares a release. Ok, that might be me (with someone
help!).

Yup, that is the key issue at hand.

        - Some people, who vote for a release? How many people do we need? What
qualifications do they have to have?

There must be three PPMC members of this project who vote the release
+1 (and more +1 than -1).  That is the demonstration that this project
+can
be graduated soon and will be self-sufficient in the future.  Anyone can chime
in with a vote, and is encouraged to do so!  Generally the PPMC will be
listening to the dev list and non-committer input when things are not looking
quite right.

As a practical matter, three IPMC members need to also vote +1, but don't dwell
on that detail, you have us.  And we will be looking to log4cxx PPMC members
and committers in considering our own votes, along with the licensing and other
higher level policy issues.  Knowing the provenance of the code, I don't expect
to find other issues in the release candidate, unless something is overlooked
like including the LICENSE or NOTICE file.

        - Some more developers? Or is it for now ok, if Thorsten is doing the
main Development?

It's OK for each of the committers to contribute as much or little time
as they can invest in the project.  There must be at least 3 and perhaps
even 5 (some redundancy so it doesn't slip below 3).  Commits might
be as simple as shepherding other drive-by patches into vcs.

        - Do we have a deadline for the release or some kind of time frame?

IMHO, no, but if I jump aboard as a mentor, I'm hoping to help you all
succeed with graduation in the next couple months.

        Unfortunately, I am very busy right now (and will be for this week). I
will follow the discussion and maybe answer some mails, but can dig deeper into
this ASF stuff next week.

Same here, as a mentor I can offer the 10k foot perspective, but as
yet another C[++] programmer, should be able to help a little more
than just guidance emails :)  Hoping to dig into the code in the next
two weeks.

        Still, it's not worth doing that, if we have not answered the most
important question:

        What do we have to do, to keep log4cxx alive at ASF?

You covered it; at least three active participants, activity is defined
as making a release every so often (requires 3+ PMC voters), directing
users to the released version in http://www.apache.org/dist/log4cxx/
(and directing only contributor/participants to the unreleased working
effort in the vcs and resources in http://log4cxx.apache.org/dev/, that
is effectively anyone who would participate or follow dev@).  Other
great things are supporting users (a users list or equivilant), following
the bug trackers and patch submissions, etc.