OK, yet another disclaimer: I'm going to reply to lots of posts in one
and thus mess up threading, rather than sending far too many messages
to the list.

On 17/09/2001 at 17:31 +0100, Lucy McWilliam wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, will wrote films (and I've added comments):
>
>>      das boot - everybody dies!

Ah, I haven't seen this, but Greg would undoubtedly assume I like it
because it fits into my ' depressive, guardian inspired view of the
world'. Realism, happiness, realism, happiness: place your bets now!

>>      terminator 2 - huzzah!  C5 are showing it this week and have a
>surprisingly good trailer for a change.

Terminator 2 sucks compared to Terminator 1, precisely because it's a
sequel. The first film has a purity of plot and logic- things happen
because they've always happened; the future is fixed; 'a storm is
coming'. OK, so the music's a bit shonky and the hairdos defy belief,
but otherwise it does really well.

The second film, on the other hand, tries to have its cake and eat it
about violence (Arnie shoots loads of people, but only in the knees-
phew, that's OK then!); it goes completely nuts halfway in with the
scientist plot (which, it could be argued, is an attempt to be PC by
bringing in the black scientist character) and it ends by breaking the
circularity of time that is the only decent explanation for how any of
it can work. Pfah. A triumph of special effects and hype over plot and
acting.

Greg said:

>(on RHPS) However having said that your argument relies on a one
>off line on IRC

Richard Clamp corrected me: apparently it turns out to be a quote from
Spaced, which is very funny, but not necessarily the best basis for an
argument.

Musicals are generally overrated anyway.

>> Romeo and Juliet (1996? Baz Lurhman version)- now that's what I call
>> reimagining
>
>however its by the same people as moulon/moulin rouge, so he's
>onto a loser here

Yes, but it doesn't have Elton John, although that Prince cover in it
is a low point.

Lucy also said (quoting Andrew Wilson):

>> The Shawshank Redemption, The Blues Brothers, True Lies, The Usual
>>Suspects
>> The Princess Bride, Rocky Horror Picture Show, This is Spinal Tap
>
>Agreed.  Not saying the following are the greatest, but I sure find them
>amusing - The Crow, The Matrix, Dark City, Strange Days[0], Contact, Fifth
>Element, Little Shop of Horrors...*tries to visualise video collection*...
>Tremors, The Lost Boys, Gattaca...and to retain some non-SF cred Dead
>Pet's Society and Sense & Sensibility.

So is anyone going to mention films from more than 10-20 years ago? OK,
so I didn't do too well on that score either, but then I'd back up the
mentions of Twelve Angry Men (see it now, if you haven't).

There's also this (deja-(void) and NTK) which you might find interesting:

http://www.sweetfancymoses.com/goldstein_amazonfilm.htm

--
:: paul
:: husk