From: Paul Makepeace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10/1/01 11:29:50 AM

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:01:07AM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> > So I still need a permenent linux/apache/samba
> > sysadmin, the people I've spoken to offlist either want
> > to be perl developers or work on contract
>
> What is for you the advantage of a perm. sysadmin versus
> a very responsive contractor? By "very responsive" I mean
> a contractor with whom you've entered into an SLA, e.g.
> 30min hour problem acknowledgement from cell call within
> business hours.

In my experience this is likely to be a PHB-imposed restriction.
They seem to thing that permies are more likely to be "company
men" and will be more easily cajoled into doing things beyond
the call of duty for the love of the company.

Of course, they also seem to be more likely to carry pagers 24x7
for no extra money - whereas no sane contractor would consider
such a thing :)

Dave...

--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)