On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Dave Cross wrote:

> In my experience this is likely to be a PHB-imposed restriction.
> They seem to thing that permies are more likely to be "company
> men" and will be more easily cajoled into doing things beyond
> the call of duty for the love of the company.

<discourse mode="devils advocate">

To turn it around another way, wouldn't you say that working for the love
of it, for the respect of your peers and the camerarderie of achieving
something is also kind of central to our whole hacker culture ?

</discourse>

Obviously that does require that you actually *get* respect from the
PHBs [1].

> Of course, they also seem to be more likely to carry pagers 24x7
> for no extra money - whereas no sane contractor would consider
> such a thing :)

Depends on your point of view. If I was responsible for a system I would
happily carry a pager [2] whether I was a contractor or not.

Simon.

[1] But then they wouldn't be PHBs I guess :-)
[2] and have done on many occasions.