Simon Wilcox wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>

> In this case, however, they will be the lead of only two sysadmins and I
> want someone to come in and take a long term responsibility.
>
> However you look at it, no amount of documentation makes up for practical
> experience of the system you are supporting. If you change sys admins
> every 6-12 months you end up with a layered environment, each layer
> developed to a sysadmins personal taste with probably all sorts of little
> incompatibilities.

Do wish to sound argumentative (as a contractor) - but,  high job
turnover in IT [1] would suggest that a permie will leave in 12 months
or not long after anyway.

Although I can see your point about practicle experience being lost -
but this will happen what ever the employment position.

On searching for someone could the LLUG not help - or what about a
direct add on jobserve.

Greg

[1] Could not find any real figures but put "staff turnover UK IT
figures" into google and hit I feel lucky button !