From: "Leon Brocard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Paul Makepeace sent the following bits through the ether:
>
> > The problem is when you have folders with tens of thousands of
> > emails (London.pm is about to hit 20k here)
>
> I've moved my mail from laptop to laptop to new company computer over
> the years and it's dawned on me that I never (that is NEVER) need
> archives which are more than a week or so old.
>
> Agressive deletion is the only way.

I disagree completely. I used to spend quite a lot of time deciding whether
to keep mailing list emails or not, well, fractions of seconds per email,
but on high volume lists this adds up :-) So I stopped deciding, and now
keep everything, which is much faster. I have always kept every personal
email, and HD size has grown much faster than the rate I receive/read email,
so I have had no problems with storage. I am a natural hoarder though, and
quite enjoy browsing old email folders to see what I was up to. I also have
copies of course of every email I have ever sent.

I use outlook express, which has some searching facilities built in, which
are good enough for me.

As to actually NEEDING any of this, I expect if i lost the complete email
archive and all backups I'd survive, but I'd definitely be a bit upset.

/Robert