On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:21:14PM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
> Dominic Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > The trouble that I found with gnus the last time that I used it was that
> > when it wa doing something, it locked your emacs up.  Which is a pain if
> > you were trying to edit some perl code at the same time.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "lock up".
>
> I have no problems in editing perl, IRC and reading mail/news together
> it works fine for me and all I have to do is switch between the
> buffers in the normal emacs way.  I have tried this on several
> platforms (solaris, linux and OpenBSD) and have never seen it lock up.

I'm talking more about accessing news rather mail, over an nntp
connection to a slow server.  My emacs process would stop responding and
painting the screen until it had gotten a response from the server.
This got to be enough of a pain that I no longer use gnus to read news.

Actually, I no longer read news, but that's a different story entirely.
:-)

> However I am unable to compose a mail in mutt (or rather the spawned
> editor) and at the same time view previous messages or browse the
> address book (as I can with gnus).
>
> So for me it's mutt that seems to lock up.

Agreed.  But mutt was designed around multiple instances[1].

-Dom

[1] And emacs wasn't.  It bugs me to see people fire off yet another
    emacs copy to make a single edit to a single file.  Swap, swap,
    swappity swap!

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |