On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 11:20:17AM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
> Niklas Nordebo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:33:02AM +0000, Steve Mynott wrote:
> > > FLAME ON
> > paraphrased: "You're not going to get everyone to abide by those rules so
> > I'm going to jeopardy quote now just to irritate you"
> That wasn't actually the intention.  I will top quote when I think it
> makes the email easier to read which I think is generally the case
> when you are writing more than you are quoting.

Do you read bottom-up, then? if not, why bother quoting? did you actually
read any of the link I posted?

> A drawback of bottom quoting is that you have to scroll past the quote
> in order to get the new material.  I read a _lot_ of email and such

Yes. However, there shouldn't really be *ENOUGH TO SCROLL PAST* which was
my point in the first place. If you don't trim the quoting I still have
to scroll past all of the stuff you've quoted, just to see if there's
anything new at the bottom. Bzzzzzzzzt. You lose.

> scrolling wastes valuable time and key strokes.  It also raises
> visability of your words.  I am well aware that its against

How?

> USENET/mailing list tradition as codified in 1989 but I think its just
> geek snobbery against Outlook and AOL users and the like really.

You obviously didn't read that link. Go and read it. You may understand why
I feel this way. The examples are good and clear.

> Isn't the Perl way "There is More Than One Way to Do It?"

Yes. However, we're now talking about english not perl. Bzzzzzt. You lose.
Again.

> Bottom quoting to me only makes sense to me now if you are responding
> on a point to point basis (as I am doing now).  So I use both quoting
> styles.

If you end up top-posting, then why bother quoting?

> > Of course, we do kick people out if they either can't learn to quote sanely
> > after a reasonable time, or if they deliberately quote improperly because
> > they think people who object are just stupid and old-fashioned and don't
> > understand that they're above all that since they're Nathans and use
> > fucking Microsoft Outlook and not some kind of stoneage text mail client
> > for hippy programmers.
> Sorry you lost me here.  I can't understand whether you are being
> ironic or not and so your meaning is lost.

Don't worry if it's over your head. You're obviously one of the kind of
people that's being insulted. :-)

> I care more about the content people post and how easy it is to read
> than the way they quote it.

Bzzzzzzt. You lose. YET AGAIN. The entire point of sensible quoting is *TO
MAKE IT EASY TO READ AND UNDERSTAND*. You're really doing well here.

> > People do mistakes sometimes, especially if they're used to jeopardy
> > quoting or whatever. The fact that people *will* do something doesn't mean
> > that something isn't wrong/bad/whatever, as anyone with even a vague grasp
> > of logic will understand.
> I think the solution is client-side (filtering) rather than
> server-side.

No - no filtering, just a few seconds thought when composing the article.

> Complaining about quoting really is petty and a total waste of time.

So WTF are you doing it?

> If you hate "broken quoting" so much why don't you write a Perl script
> to "fix" it to the way you like and put all your mail through it?

Because then you need to understand language. Well volunteered, since you
think it would be so easy.

> Problem Over.

Not at all.

MBM (angry=630476ms).