Steve> I think Microsoft have done usability studies on this which is why
Steve> their mail clients use "top quoting".  Did your friends do usability
Steve> studies?  I did and asked a non-technical user in the pub about this
Steve> and they prefered top posting.

As I said in comp.lang.perl.misc...

    The quoted material is either relevant or it isn't.

    If it's relevant, then your comments should be quoted near what
    it's related to, so I can read them together, in the proper order
    to understand the context of your response.

    If it isn't, DON'T QUOTE IT.

So there's never a reason to top-quote.  Except to demonstrate what a
lazy bast*rd the poster is.