I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Mythical Man Month, which
despite its age is still delightfully sane and readable.

One of my favourites is _Inner Loops_ by Rick Booth
(http://cseng.aw.com/book/0,,0201479605,00.html), for
its sheer enthusiasm. A book-length hymn to the joys
of performance coding, and the perfect antidote to
yet more bollocks about "methodology".

Cormen, Leiserson and Rivest is commendable in its scope and a useful
book to have around, but it hardly makes its topic come alive. I'd say
the same for the dragon, actually; though some of you will disagree I
bet. Richard Stevens would have the lot of them in a technical writing
fight.

If you want to get properly theoretical, check out volume 1 of the
_Handbook of Logic in Computer Science_. It's beautiful, weighty and
reassuringly expensive. It consists of 6 monographs (each of which
could have been published as a book in itself), introducing a particular
branch of the subject and expounding on it in depth. It's neither
patronising like a textbook nor hopelessly impenetrable. And if you
do get lost among the Lemmas, you can always close it and admire the
interlocked quantifier symbols embossed on the front.

 .robin.