On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, David Cantrell wrote:

> Any OS, however, that doesn't run well in 128Mb is a broken OS in my
> opinion, and that 128Mb should include X.  Yes, Mac OS X, I'm criticising
> you twice in the same sentence there.

It's only a matter of time, I was still stunned by deadrat when it
wouldn't even boot from an install floppy, because it only had 16MB.

> > I was quite surprised that 9 ran on sun4m as the first beta was sun4u
> > only but the beta refresh doesn't have that restriction.

Hurrah once more.

> > Shame they dropped Solaris 9/x86 though.
>
> This must be a definition of "shame" that I'm not familiar with.  Solaris
> for x86 is nasty.  Taking it out and shooting it is more humane than it
> deserves.  Now, I'm normally pretty harsh in my criticism of x86 bitty-
> boxes, but Solaris for x86 is so awful that it defiles even those
> abominations.

Last I heard, solaris x86 wasn't exactly dropped, more that it wasn't a
priority.  Maybe when the 64 bit intel stuff becomes widely prevelant,
it'll become more of a priority again.  There are good reasons for running
solaris x86, but they're not my reasons, and are becoming less reasonable
each day that linux and the *BSDs exist.

the hatter