On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:26:57AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> However, it is a moderately long walk from the nearest underground station.
> (it's managed to pick a sweet spot (a bitter spot?) moderately equidistant
> from three underground stations, so it's certainly an above average
> distance)

But, really it's not *that* far from the tube. Nowhere which is still in Zone 1
is *that* far from a tube station.

> It is approaching one of the less nice parts of central London, sufficient
> for one london.pm member's wife to insist that he doesn't go there.

I have to take issue with this somewhat. London may not be a land of fairies
and elves, but it is for the most part perfectly safe.

> That may sound trivial - in some ways it is - 1 person out of many,
> subjective rather than objective. But it's also the first location (that
> I've been aware of) where this has happened, and I admit that I don't find
> it a particularly pleasant walk late at night down Gray's Inn Road.

In which case, may I suggest Oxford St or Dean St after about 2230.

This should, of course, be viewed as entirely subjective, as I can be
famously thick-skinned and regularly go drinking/clubbing in Kings Cross
on a Friday night. (And I've never had a problem. *touch wood*).

Ben