Nicholas Clark wrote:
Except for one part that I find curious. The presentation lists one of
the cons for perl as

    poor sandboxing, easy to screw up server

yet I get the feeling that that is the arguments against PHP. Or am I
confusing the idea of screwing up namespaces with screwing things up
between processes?
One problem I'm only too aware of is that mod_perl doesn't let you have different versions of modules installed into different vhosts. We have a bunch of SEMANTICO::* modules and an apache with 4 vhosts. Consequently, we have to be extremely careful when changing those SEMANTICO::* modules so we don't change any interfaces. It's doable, but it's not as convenient as per-vhost sandboxes. If that's what PHP offers[1].

-Dom

[1] Never used php past a test page consisting of a single phpinfo() call. :-)

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources |
| Tel: +44 (1273) 722222 |