On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 15:43, Shevek wrote:
> My opinion on programming (this week) is that the modern generation of
> programmer has never used any system where commands are executed as you
> type them, and thus they have no concept of a sequence of instructions,
> and therefore they cannot program.
>
> I think that this is a major problem. I think that undergraduates are (in
> general, specific cases excluded) a major problem. I think many things.

OK, I couldn't resist the flame bait...

I used to love being an undergrad, and being constantly reminded by the
older developers/members of staff, about our failings, and how we
weren't as good as the graduates before us, and how we never really "got
it". Bollocks to that, I say. if we didn't get it, what weren't they
teaching?

*sigh* The old school gave us BASIC, the new(er) school will give us
Perl6. Can't see much of a regression here.

... Right, got that out of my system. Sorry for the rant.

I do, however, agree with you Mr Shevek (despite my comments above).
I've seen too many "point'n'click" graduates who couldn't write
structured code to save their lives, and (more depressingly) can't see
why you'd want to ("What do you mean 'you write your code by
hand'?!?!"). I guess it's our (i.e. those who know about such things) to
help them out and show them basic principles. It's in our interest to
protect and develop our profession/passion/hobby/whatever. It's also in
our interest to start demanding (through work place requirements)
certain skills from our graduates. The universities/institutions usually
catch on.

Enough of my ramblings.

*wave*

Ian