Alvaro -

Inline.

[Les:] Specifications typically say:

"Remaining bits are RESERVED. SHOULD/MUST be transmitted as 0 and MUST be
ignored on receipt."

And the same wording is used for bits covered by a registry.
Consider https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7794.html#section-2.1 (for which we
do have a registry):

"Undefined bits MUST be transmitted as 0 and MUST be ignored on
   receipt."

> In the extreme case anyone can make use of the bits, through the ISE
> or a different SDO -- ideally we will be paying attention, but may
> not.  Sure, a registry doesn't stop implementations from squatting on
> codepoints either (even inside the IETF), but at least people have to
> want to bypass the allocation rules.

[Les:] When a specification says "all other bits are reserved, MUST be sent as
0 and MUST be ignored on receipt", I do not see how anyone can assume they can
use them - nor why the existence of a  registry would prevent such a squatter
from doing whatever they want outside of normal channels.
Are you suggesting that normative statements in RFCs simply don’t mean anything?

Sorry, don’t mean to be argumentative. Just expressing why I am not
understanding/agreeing w your POV.

   Les