Tony -

[Les:] The question here is whether there is a qualitative difference between
two classes of bit fields.

Category 1
Flags field in TLVs/sub-TLVs  used for a specific purpose. Addition of new
flags to these TLVs would be defined either in a bis draft or a draft which
updates the corresponding base draft.
Currently we do not have registries for these cases.

A few examples (there are many more):
1)Flags field in TLV 236 (RFC 5308)
2)Flags field in Prefix Segment Identifier (Prefix-SID) Sub-TLV (
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8667.html#section-2.1 )
3)Flags field in SRv6 Locator TLV (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-srv6-extensions-11#section-7.1 )

Category 2

Flag fields available for use by a variety of unrelated applications.  There
are currently two existing examples - both of which have registries.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints/isis-tlv-codepoints.xhtml#prefix-attribute-flags

https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints/isis-tlv-codepoints.xhtml#isis-tlv-codepoints-19of22

As you can see from the current assignments, in both cases bit definitions
occur in the context of drafts which are otherwise unrelated.

The question here is whether bit registries are also appropriate for category 1.

If you could clarify your opinion to speak to this more specific question that
would be helpful - at least to me.

Thanx.

   Les