From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com> On Behalf Of Tony Li
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 1:56 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>;
draft-ietf-lsr-isis-srv6-extensi...@ietf.org; lsr@ietf.org; John Scudder
<j...@juniper.net>; Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>; lsr-cha...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] When is an IANA Registry Required

Les,

[Les:] The question here is whether there is a qualitative difference between
two classes of bit fields.

That is indeed the key question. IMHO, there is not.

I don’t much care if a field is updated by a bis document or a related
document. Regardless of the cause, as soon as there is more than one source of
truth about the field, we are
creating ambiguity and confusion.

At the same time, I see no point in a registry with contents that never change.
Thus, I will propose an alternative: by analogy to copy-on-write shared memory
semantics, I propose that
we apply ‘registry-on-write’ semantics.

Specifics: When a potentially shared field is created, the defining document
speciifies the name of a future registry, but does NOT request IANA create the
registry at this time. When any document wishes
to update the field, it requests that IANA create it and populate it with both
legacy and updated values.

Implementors that come along either document know where the source of truth is.
 If the registry has not been created, then there is no ambiguity. If it has
been, then there is no ambiguity.

Thoughts?

Tony