Ok,

I think i've got something worth trying.

I don't have a ThinkNic here right now, i've loaned it
out for a couple of days.

But, after looking at the CD iso images, I've found that
they run Xvesa for the Xserver.  I haven't seen the source
for this, but it is quite interesting.  It seems that it doesn't
use Modelines, rather it relies on the vesa framebuffer mode of
the video adapter.  You pass the resolution on the command line
as a 0x0117 for 1024x768.

I've modified the rc.local script and I tried it on one of
my workstations, but it has an i810 chipset, and it didn't work
very well.

I also tried running Xvesa on a server that I have that has an ati
video card, and it worked very well, but that server was already
in vfb mode.

So, if you want to try it on your ThinkNic, here's what you need
to do:

1)  Replace your /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local script with the
    one that I've modified.  I've included it here as an attachment.

2)  Find the Xvesa Xserver.  It is on the ThinkNIC cdrom.  I'll
    be happy to send it to you, but I didn't want to attach it to
    this email, cuz the Xvesa binary is about 1mb.

3)  Put the Xvesa in the /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/bin directory
    and make sure it is executable mode=755

4)  Change the 'XSERVER' entry in the lts.conf file for your
    ThinkNic to be 'XSERVER = Xvesa'.

5)  Reboot the workstation and give it a try.

If it doesn't work, you may need to pass an extra option to the
kernel.  That option would be 'vga=773'.  If you do that, make sure
you also include option-128 with the Etherboot signature.
The options would look like this:

    option option-128     e4:45:74:68:00:00;
    option option-129     "vga=773";

If you are running dhcpd version 3.0, then you will also
need these lines near the top of the dhcpd.conf file:

    option option-128 code 128 = string;
    option option-129 code 129 = text;

I don't know if you'll need that kernel cmdline, but I figured I'd
tell you about it ahead of time, just in case.

And, I don't know if this will fix the blurry font/graphics problems,
but it does get us closer to the way the ThinkNic guys are doing it.

Please give it a try, and let me know the results.  if it works
properly, I'll make it part of the standard LTSP distro.

Thanks,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]