Phil,
  I am running Mozilla in a public library and had similar requirements.
I am not sure this is the best solution, but it works well.

  After running the browser once for each user to set everything up, I
made the each user's .mozilla directory immutable (chattr -R +i) with
the following exceptions:
    (These are all under .mozilla/{user}/{gobbldy-gook}/)

    I linked cookies.txt -> /dev/null then made it immutable
    I linked history.dat -> /dev/null then made it immutable

    For SSL to work the following 4 files are *not* made immutable
(chattr -i)
    secmod.db
    secmodule.db
    cert7.db
    key3.db

   I let the Cache work as normal in the users home directory, although
your idea of using /tmp would be fine too.

   I also linked the bookmarks.html to one central bookmark file to make
my life easier.

  This set up allows the user to do anything they want (set bookmarks,
change preferences, etc) but none of the changes will be saved on exit.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Services, Inc.