Put prefs.js in a higher level directory, say /home/students/prefs.js and set it to be read only for everyone except the owner (root).

Then, in each student's .phoenix/default directory, replace prefs.js with:

ln -s /home/students/prefs.js prefs.js

You could script that as well.

s9655808 wrote:

----------------------------------------- (on students)

This e-mail message and / or its attachment(s) does not engage the responsibility of the sender nor does it bind the Polytechnic of Namibia in any way.

Here is what I've done so far.

I installed firefox 0.8, created a default profile for a known user and than
copied this profile /home/students/.phoenix to /etc/skel
I than used a perl script ( If anybody want's this script, please email me and
i'll sent it to you) to create all the student users for my LTSP system. This
script creates all the neccesary stuff for all the users in their respective
home dirs. The only other problem now is to get the prefs.js file in all those
5000 /home/*****/.phoenix to be read-only so that the students can't change
the preferences.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Regards
Rudolf

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:40:15 -0400, Brian Payst wrote

You can't set them all to use the same profile. Copy the .phoenix directory into each student's home directory. For example:

/home/student01/.phoenix
/home/student02/.phoenix

etc.

Then make sure to chown student1 .phoenix and it's subdirectories, etc.

Don't link them to a central one, the lockfile that gets created by the first user will keep all the others from accessing that profile.

You can then have each student use the same firebird binary (/usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird), but they will use the default profile found in their home directory:

/usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird -P default

s9655808 wrote:

----------------------------------------- (on students)

This e-mail message and / or its attachment(s) does not engage the

responsibility of the sender nor does it bind the Polytechnic of Namibia in
any way.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions!! They certainly made me see some light.

Here is what I have done with mozilla 1.4.6 ( Distro packaged with RHEL 3 AS).

I created one default home directory (/home/students/.mozilla) in which the
default profile is. All the student users were set to use this home dir and
profile - I guess this were a bad idea.

I'm downloading Mozila Firefox 0.8 and is going to try your suggestions

with this.

Thanks
Rudolf

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:53:40 -0500, Brian Payst wrote

What I've done is created a standard profile called default that I copy into all the home directories (/home/username/.phoenix) for each user and change the permissions so it is owned by the appropriate user. I then have a prefs.js file that is symlinked to a central, read-only one in another directory. This lets me set browser preferences globally for all users and keep them from being changed.

I start firebird like this for each user:

/usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird -P default

This reduces the set-up time quite a bit when adding users and gives me the control I want over the browser preferences. I've also fairly extensively edited the .xul files for firebird to remove some functions I don't want users to have. Using the same firebird binary with identical profiles in each user's home lets me basically centrally manage the browser on the LTSP server.

Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:

Hello LTSP world:

  I have never tried it but you should be able to manually edit the
file to change the directory - i.e. point to each user's home directory.
A quick script should be able to copy and change a bunch of accounts at
once.

I'm also trying to do the mozilla thingie but with Firefox (it's lighter and more usable, I think.). After a bit of google search and some conversations in irc.mozilla.org/#mozilla,#firefox,#mozillazine, I think that the script could be the best option.

Anyway, I'm still solving some other problems in my LTSP system so I'm a bit busy. If you create the script and it works, please send it to me!

Pete

Thanks you guys,
        Edulix.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _____________________________________________________________________ Ltsp-discuss mailing list. To un-subscribe, or change prefs, goto: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ltsp-discuss For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

-- Brian Payst, MS Director of Technology & Systems Support Division of Student Affairs The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill voice: (919) 962-1469 fax: (919) 962-5241