On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 23:35 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:31:31 -0700, Craig White wrote
> > CentOS 5 and ltsp 4.2 - got an i386 client working - now I'm trying to
> > get an iMac (G3 384Mb RAM & 600MHz)
> >
> > following instructions here...
> > http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/CpuArchitectures#LTSP_on_Latter_Day_Macintosh_G3
> >
> > without special additions to dhcpd.conf per the above, the Mac client
> > simply waits on netboot (it does get ip address per logs)
>
> See if you can get the /opt/ltsp/ppc tree and dhcpd.conf and tftp stuff from
> a K12LTSP
> server.  My guess is you could drop the stuff from there right into your
> setup and be
> running (with the exception of some X11 issues).  The tweaks to the
> dhcpd.conf only tell
> the server which directory to offer up based on whether it is an i386 client
> or a PPC
> client.  This doesn't actually pass the info that lets the client know it
> should network
> boot.  To fix that keep reading.
----
I'm confused as to why the reference to the k12ltsp stuff. I do have
ltsp 4.2 working with an intel based i386 client. I have similarly
configured a mac to pull down yaboot from my tftp server and I can't
tell whether the Mac client is pulling the file or not because tftp
doesn't seem to log anything, whether I change the startup arguments to
-vvvv -s /tftp in the xinetd daemon and also have shut off xinetd
completely and run tftp from the command line... '/usr/sbin/in.ftpd
-vvvv -s /tftp' and no activity is reported on screen whatsoever.
----

> I am not sure if the link you refer to has the most updated PPC stuff.  I
> know the setup
> from K12LTSP will handle the boot from holding the N key.  Thinking a little
> more I
> think your problem may be that you are not telling your Mac to network boot.
> You could
> try holding the N key on boot if you haven't already.  Or if you want do the
> following
> to make network booting permanent for them:
>
> Boot with apple+option+o+f
> Type the following at the command line:
>
> setenv boot-device enet:192.168.0.254
>
> Hit enter.
>
> setenv auto-boot? true
>
> Hit enter.
>
> reset-all
>
> Hit enter.
>
> The machine should reboot and now automatically boot to ltsp every time
> it is powered up.  If this for some reason doesn't work run the same
> procedure but add
> ,yaboot to the first line like so "setenv boot-device
> enet:192.168.0.254,yaboot".  I
> don't know why but I found sometimes you need to tell it to use yaboot to
> start up.
>
> If you just want to boot back to a local HD I believe you can enter
> Open Firmware and just type "boot" to get back to the local OS.
> Otherwise the cmd+option+p+r should zap the pram and you'll go back to
> square 1.
>
> Hope this helps you out.  Keep in mind the PPC tree is a little older than
> the i386
> tree.  You'll also most likely run into issues with sound and won't be able
> to run
> teachertool as the PPC tree does not contain the VNC components.  Other than
> that it
> works pretty darn good and make those old macs pretty snappy.  Also the Bondi
> Blue iMacs
> (ugly green with 233Mhz proc) run perfect from square one.  The newer fruity
> colored
> macs may run into some trouble with starting X.  If this is the case you will
> be looking
> to create a custom XF86Config file.  But you're better off starting a new
> thread to
> solve that if you get that far :-)
----
I have already set the mac to network boot and it's obvious that the
setting is good because the Mac shows the 'world' icon on screen.

I recognize that the ppc kernel stuff that I am using is old but it
still should boot. I have an iMac already loaded with Fedora 7 on the
hard drive and could copy over the entire tree if needed. I am sure that
I could solve the X issues because I've already worked them through with
this one iMac (though xorg.conf and not XFree86.conf)

My issue is more basic...trying to figure out:
- is iMac downoading bootloader code (yaboot)
- if so, is it downloading yaboot.conf and then the targeted kernel and
initrd

I will try to set the firmware as you suggest and see if that helps and
will also hook up the i386 system to see if tftp logs connections to
screen because I simply can't tell.

Do I set enet:192.168.3.7 because that is my tftp/server address or
do I set enet:192.168.3.5 because that is my dhcp server address?

I wasn't entirely certain that my take on the wiki page for dhcpd.conf
is correct (for Mac clients)

adding to global section of dhcpd.conf
        option dhcp-parameter-request-list 1,3,6,15,17,43,44,46,60;

and client section of dhcpd.conf is...
group mac-clients {
  ddns-updates on;
  next-server 192.168.3.7;
  option root-path "192.168.3.7:/opt/ltsp/ppc";
  filename "/lts/2.4.22-ltsp-1/yaboot";
  # install client
  host mac1 {
#   server-name "mac1";
    option vendor-class-identifier "AAPLBSDPC";
    option vendor-encapsulated-options 01:01:02:08:04:01:00:00:01:82:
       05:             # length
       69:6d:61:63:34; # hostname

       hardware ethernet 00:03:93:92:88:98;
       fixed-address 192.168.3.48;