On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 13:00 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > I'm confused as to why the reference to the k12ltsp stuff. I do have
> > ltsp 4.2 working with an intel based i386 client. I have similarly
> > configured a mac to pull down yaboot from my tftp server and I can't
> > tell whether the Mac client is pulling the file or not because tftp
> > doesn't seem to log anything, whether I change the startup arguments to
> > -vvvv -s /tftp in the xinetd daemon and also have shut off xinetd
> > completely and run tftp from the command line... '/usr/sbin/in.ftpd
> > -vvvv -s /tftp' and no activity is reported on screen whatsoever.
>
> Just referencing K12LTSP because it boots macs with no changes out of the
> box, so any
> configuration options in there would be a good roadmap for you to follow in
> making sure
> your set up is correct.  Just a suggestion you are free to ignore :-)
>
> > I have already set the mac to network boot and it's obvious that the
> > setting is good because the Mac shows the 'world' icon on screen.
> >
> > I recognize that the ppc kernel stuff that I am using is old but it
> > still should boot. I have an iMac already loaded with Fedora 7 on the
> > hard drive and could copy over the entire tree if needed. I am sure that
> > I could solve the X issues because I've already worked them through with
> > this one iMac (though xorg.conf and not XFree86.conf)
>
> I don't think updating is as simple as moving over the tree from a running
> mac with a
> local Linux install.  But you can certainly steal the xorg.conf file and
> reference it
> from lts.conf.  Even though you are not using XFree86 the option in lts.conf
> to specify
> a custom file is XF86Config_File which is why I refer to XF86 stuff.
>
> > I will try to set the firmware as you suggest and see if that helps and
> > will also hook up the i386 system to see if tftp logs connections to
> > screen because I simply can't tell.
> >
> > Do I set enet:192.168.3.7 because that is my tftp/server address or
> > do I set enet:192.168.3.5 because that is my dhcp server address?
>
> I am fairly sure you would set this to 192.168.3.7 since that is where it
> needs to pull
> yaboot from.  If your DHCP server isn't set up right this may help.
>
> > I wasn't entirely certain that my take on the wiki page for dhcpd.conf
> > is correct (for Mac clients)
>
> I haven't set this up manually for a long time.  I helped get K12LTSP set up
> to boot
> macs out of the box so this is what I am the most familiar with.  And there
> is a K12LTSP
> based off of RHEL and LTSP 4.2, so I still think looking at configs from that
> system
> would help you out a lot.
----
thanks for hanging in there with me. Clearly the iMac as a tftp client
acts a little less predictably because when I copied the tftpboot
files/folders over to the same server as the dhcpd server, the yaboot
file is located and loaded. I am smack into the problem of 'NFS Server
not responding' at the point when it is trying to mount /opt/ltsp/ppc.
I am passing the same kernel boot params that worked for the i386
clients (but that was a 2.6 kernel) but that doesn't seem to matter
here.

I am downloading the CD's from k12ltsp to see what I can see but I
gathered that it was sort of turnkey setup so I can't just install it on
anything but a spare box somewhere.

Thanks

--
Craig White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>