> But...
>
> trying to configure the iMac XF86Config should be relatively simple -
> but even using your XF86Config-4.indigo file, it won't load and always
> wants to load /tmp/XF86Config.1 which NEVER works

Well, even though it sounds like you are slowly going bald, this sounds to me
like
excellent progress.  It appears that now your mac is booting just as it should
and your
only problem now is finding an X config file that works.  I think the problem
here is
the messages you are reading on the screen while the mac boots are misleading
you.  Jim
McQuillan explained to me why this is darn near 3 years ago, this is what makes
search
engines awesome.  Here is a snip of the explanation:

-----------Snip-------------
Your custom config file goes in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc

When the client boots, it copies your custom file to /tmp on the client,
which is a ramdisk, so it's only visible to the client.

When the copy is made, it's clled 'XF86Config.1', because if you have
multiple SCREEN_xx lines setup, each one will have it's own config file.

You can make sure that /tmp/XF86Config.1 is the same as your custom
file, by setting:

    SCREEN_01 = startx
    SCREEN_02 = shell

Then, once X is up and running, hit Ctrl-Alt-F2, and switch to the text
screen, and take a look at /tmp/XF86Config.1 using 'more'.
-----------End Snip---------------------

For testing X configs I always switched SCREEN_01 = shell.  This way the client
will
boot the a shell, you can quickly run "more /tmp/XF86Config.1" and be sure what
is
present is your custom file.  Then run "startx" manually to see if things work.
 If not
you can tweak the tmp X config and try again.  When it works then make those
same
changes on the server.

Next question, exactly what vintage/flavor mac are you trying to boot?  The
default
xorg.conf will work perfectly for Bondi iMacs, but not most others.  The custom
.indigo
file works on Indigo iMacs, tangerine, indigo, and blueberry iBooks and I think
for a
very low resolution on Snow iBooks.  Neither file works for other flavor iMacs,
iBooks,
or eMacs.  If you have another type of mac that won't work with either of those
files
your best bet is to find a PPC live CD that boots the machine fine, then steal
its
xorg.conf for tweaking an throw it in
/opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.yourfile and
try that.  That is where I found the most success.

As near as I can tell your settings to call a custom X config and boot setup
are now
working perfectly.  Once you are to that point the biggest problem with macs is
finding
an x config they are happy with.

Hope this helps you maintain at least a small portion of hair.

Jim