On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:41:27 -0700, Mel Wade wrote
> <snip>
> I wonder if this could be achieved in LTSP with virtual IP's?  I run a few
> servers with
> eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2, etc set up on the same nic.  Then create extra files
> with the
> other IP information.  Now one nic answers on multiple IP addresses.  Since
> Citrix
> licensing is most likely based on how many users you will concurrently
> connect, I wonder
> if they don't create virtual interfaces with some sort of script on startup,
> then when
> each session is started assign separate virtual NICs to each session.
>
> For someone who really knows what is going on in the world of LTSP, I'll bet
> they could
> figure out how to set this up.
>
> Of course, with local apps, just run your browser as a local app and I
> assume the
> problem goes away......did mention how awesome I think it is that they have
> gotten local
> apps working?
> </snip>
>
> Interesting concept.  The trick would be to tie the session to the specific
> IP address.

I'm not thinking to set the session to a specific IP address, but actually to
the
virtual NIC such as eth1:1 or eth1:25, etc.  I would think that setting the NIC
to use
might be easier than assigning an IP.  But I don't really know, just thinking.

> Local Apps may be an answer, but I think the Virtual IP should be doable as
> well.  I doubt that Citrix messes with the Windows kernel to achieve their
> result...  Obviously the local apps solution would rely on your having a
> good enough client to run the local apps.  Would a PII with 128 mb ram run
> even firefox in a reasonable way?
>
> Mel

Yeah, both options would be cool.  I don't think that Citrix messes with
Windows, but
Windows also has the option to assign multiple IPs to a single NIC, maybe they
figured
out how to use that feature.  I plan on running my local apps on a 800Mhz
client with
512MB Ram.  I figure that will be sufficient.  But PII with 128MB, probably not
as nice.
 But remember, the client won't have to run the entire desktop and such to run
the app,
only the app.  So I would bet this will allow an app such as firefox to run
better on
smaller hardware than one might originally think.

Jim