On Friday 05 September 2008 22:18:21
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > If anybody can explain to a bear of little brain :-)
> >
> > Once-upon-a-time xhost + would allow anybody to write to your display.
> > That is no longer true with ltsp-5
> >
> > I have clients say ws001 with user HeHim logged-on.
> >
> > IMe want to send HeHim a message with xmessage. How can I do that, in
> > particular how do I get permission to access display ws001:0 as user IMe.
>
> fl_teachertool as well as italc can send messages to client desktop.

Thanks to you, and to Jim for the jabber suggestion. I actually *really* need
to write to the display eg

"This POS is not in operation"

Messages to the user are not relevant, the complete display is the POS GUI, so
my problem still exists, there is no *user* interface.

I cannot see how xauth would help either: The POS daemon program disables
terminal say, um 17 and puts a message on terminal 17 "Disabled etc" but
neither it (The POS daemon) or the user associated with it are running a
display and may not even be the same server as the LTSP server.

So my basic problem: I need to put a message (say with xmessage) on a
ThinClient DISPLAY whether-or-not that terminal is logged in, and I can't
understand the relevant man pages / howtos.

James