hi,
Am Dienstag, den 27.04.2010, 15:34 -0600 schrieb David Burgess:
> I just picked up a couple HP t5325 for testing.
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-12454-321959-338927-3640405-4063703.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20t5325%20Thin%20Client&lang=en&cc=us

sadly that doesnt give any details about the CPU at all (you need to
know the version of the ARM specification the CPU implements (i.e.
ubuntu only supports ARMv7 (cortex-a8) boards in lucid while it did
support v6 in karmic and v5 in jaunty, debian supports v4 across all
recent releases which will cause performance loss on newer ARM systems
but is compatible with more hardware)

on ARM unlike intel you have to have a kernel on a per board base i.e.
while you can use the same kernel for each x86 compatible system you
need a kernel that is specifically tailored for the mainboard
implementation in your device on ARM so you have to pick the distro you
use based on the fact if a specific kernel for the CPU exists or
maintain your own kernel packages.

sadly "Marvell ARM 1.2 GHz CPU" doesnt say anything about the CPU at all
apart from the fact that it was produced by marvell, you need to get
more detailed specs than they provide on the website.

> If we like them we're going to look at getting a bunch more. The
> problem at this point is that I don't see any way to do a pxe-like
> boot with them, and I'm a total ARM noob. I looked at the gPXE wiki
> but it appears that PXE and ARM are not a well-supported combination.

ARM systems cant use PXE in any form (PXE is a proprietary protocol
developed by intel) you usually have a bootloader in flash on the ARM
board that you need to configure though a serial console.
though normally all bootloaders used under ARM support netboot many ARM
manufacturers havent discovered the concept of an initramfs (which is
essential for LTSP booting) so you will likely have to find out how to
configure the bootloader (load address in RAM, space needed etc) to make
use of the initrd/initramfs file (usually this is not not documented
anywhere, the ubuntu ARM port might give you some hints here though
since all ARM boards ubuntu supports use initramfs'es but YMMV)

> Further, although HP's included linux-based OS has a handy wizard for
> creating a bootable USB stick with a gzipped FS for restore, I'm not
> even sure how to boot this thing from USB.
>
> Any ideas about how to make this baby work with ltsp would be
> appreciated; I can't see us going back to managing multiple boot ROMs
> with every update.
if your bootloader is configured once to use bootp (dhcp usually
provides backwards compatible bootp support) it will work similar to
etherboot, some bootloaders need to have the server IP hardcoded so that
you need to change that on all clients once the server changes but
beyond that it should not be much different from using etherboot on x86.

ciao
        oli