On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:18 AM, Oliver Grawert <o...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> sadly that doesnt give any details about the CPU at all (you need to
> know the version of the ARM specification the CPU implements (i.e.
> ubuntu only supports ARMv7 (cortex-a8) boards in lucid while it did
> support v6 in karmic and v5 in jaunty, debian supports v4 across all
> recent releases which will cause performance loss on newer ARM systems
> but is compatible with more hardware)

It appears to be ARMv5:

http://my.opera.com/bhtooefr/blog/hp-t5325-thin-client-risc-os-and-maybe-combining-the-two-or-just-running-linu

Here's some yummies from /proc/cpuinfo and dmesg:

Processor       : ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
Hardware        : Feroceon-KW
Marvell Development Board (LSP Version
KW_LSP_4.2.7_patch21_with_rx_desc_tuned)-- OpenRD-Base  Soc: 88F6281
A0 LE

> ARM systems cant use PXE in any form (PXE is a proprietary protocol
> developed by intel) you usually have a bootloader in flash on the ARM
> board that you need to configure though a serial console.

There's a 4-pin header on the board. Could be interesting.

> though normally all bootloaders used under ARM support netboot many ARM
> manufacturers havent discovered the concept of an initramfs (which is
> essential for LTSP booting) so you will likely have to find out how to
> configure the bootloader (load address in RAM, space needed etc) to make
> use of the initrd/initramfs file (usually this is not not documented
> anywhere, the ubuntu ARM port might give you some hints here though
> since all ARM boards ubuntu supports use initramfs'es but YMMV)

Sounds ugly.

> if your bootloader is configured once to use bootp (dhcp usually
> provides backwards compatible bootp support) it will work similar to
> etherboot, some bootloaders need to have the server IP hardcoded so that
> you need to change that on all clients once the server changes but
> beyond that it should not be much different from using etherboot on x86.

Unfortunately I haven't even found a bootloader yet, and I see no
evidence of a netboot or bootp facility. On the bright side, I have
figured out how to USB-boot this thing, so I'll play with the Jaunty
ARM port for a while.

If anybody has any more ideas I would love to hear them. This machine
is pretty much for experimental purposes, so I'm curious to see what I
might try to get ltsp going on it. Thanks for the pointers, Oli.

db