On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 11:19:42AM -0600, David Burgess wrote:

> > Once booted, do you see a /proc/mtd file ?
>

> r...@hpf4ce462349e3:~# cat /proc/mtd
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> mtd0: 00010000 00010000 "u-boot env"
> mtd1: 00010000 00010000 "permanent u-boot env"
> mtd2: 00010000 00010000 "HP env"
> mtd3: 00080000 00010000 "u-boot"
> mtd4: 00040000 00010000 "SSD firmware"

Good. Now at least we know it uses uboot.

> If that doesn't work the thing has to go back to HP, apparently. Can
> anybody tell me with some confidence that I should be able to load a
> debian or Ubuntu 9.04 uboot image into there and have my way with
> it? I don't mind playing, but I really don't want to brick this
> thing on a whim.

It would be better to boot w/o flashing anything (no risk to brick
it). But this would require some serial console access to enter the
commands.

Do you have one ? (I don't remember that you replied to that
question.)

If so, since the TC seems to be OpenRD based from previous
informations, you can try a debian install, following this link :

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/openrd/install.html

W/o serial console, have you tried to open the casing ?

You'll find here the user guide for the OpenRD-Base board :

http://www.open-rd.org/index.php/component/remository/func-startdown/3/

If the board is this one or similar enough, the page 15 shows the
place of the mini-USB connector for the serial console.

You'll find also valuable information to try a tftp boot.

Finaly, you can also contact the debian-arm mailing list, with a lot
of arm gurus lurking ;)

Hih,

--

JFS.