On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 3:20 AM Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >  They don't have curb appeal?
>
> I don't know what "curb appeal" means.

Curb appeal in the sense of people driving by and stopping to participate.
Compared to this mailing list, those forums have *huge* participation.
(HUGE!). The only thing I can ascribe that to is that it's a forum, not a
mailing list.

I agree that forums feel clumsy, inefficient for daily participation in
topics. I have seen a forum which was specifically designed to be more like
a mailing list. (You could subscribe to the forum and receive all posts as
emails. Reply via email. Unsubscribe from topics via email. It was like a
forum front-end to a mailing list. The mailing list could be discovered as
a forum, browsed as a forum, used like a forum. But, if someone wanted to
treat it as a mailing list, they could do that.). If there were any
interest in this I could try to find that again. If I recall, it was
written in Perl. (That stood out to me.).

Maybe my observation about this mailing list isn't fair because there is a
Ubuntu forum where most(?) Lubuntu users go for help? It's more easily
discovered; more familiar to use (for the average person). If that forum
didn't exist, maybe this mailing list would have more participation.

But, that also proves my point. People seem to gravitate to a forum. The
way the Lubuntu community is here (not on the forum where people seem to go
first) could be missed opportunities for contact with Lubuntu users.
Camaraderie, recruitment of passers by to help with things. It's all
contagious. Someone gets helped, they want to help. The way it is now, it's
like two worlds that never meet. (IMO).

To me, as I started visiting other distros (which exist primarily on
forums), the difference seemed obvious. But, maybe I'm assuming too much
about drive-by visitors becoming engaged. It just seems like, if people
aren't even coming through the front door, you can't even have the
conversation (inspiring Lubuntu users to help, etc.).

Mark