On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 06:37, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2019 13:44:21 -0700, Mark F wrote:
> >I like it. I just replied to someone (I top posted too! Maybe that
> >will get Liam to join. wink).
>
> IIRC as one drawback of forums Liam mentioned markup language. If you
> want to post code, one forum requires
>
> ~~~
> some code
> ~~~
>
> and another
>
> [code]
> some code
> [/code]

This is one of the many things I hate about them.

There are standards for this stuff, dammit -- the minimal safe subset
of HTML used by Livejournal etc., or Markdown, or AsciiDoc/RST, or
OrgMode or whatever. Far too many standards, but every horrid broken
web forum re-invents its own, and its own login criteria, and its own
editor, and its own stupid sig/ID line system (coffee beans or
whatever inane nonsense), and its own broken notifications system.

Email has been a working viable comms medium for 40+ years. It has
rules, rich clients for every platform going, and works superbly.

And there was Usenet, which for 30y has provided a worldwide federated
discussion system, similarly totally multiplatform and with rich
clients.

Then clueless newbies who can't even learn to bottom post came along
and ruined both, and now there are a thousand replacements which are
all junk.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lpro...@gmail.com