At 10:29 AM 4/20/2005, Roman Turovsky wrote:
>The differences between slender lutes's shells like Schelle, Tielke, Frei
>are so visually insignificant, that luthiers do as they please with their
>nomenclatures. And the best ones' designs are original rather than slavish
>copies.

This topic is somewhat interesting to me.  At what point does an original
design cease to be a reproduction of an early instrument and become
something new?  When will big, flat-backed lutes built for renaissance
tuning and incorporating Kasha/Schneider bracing systems and bridge designs
sweep the lute world?  Why not use geared tuners?  Etc?

Here's an example:
<http://www.daniellarson.com/mandolins/mandolino/mandolino.htm>.
Dan's instruments sound as nice as any I've encountered.  He credits
Lambert as the prototype of this design, but anybody familiar with either
of the extant Lamberts (that in the V&A, after which this one is allegedly
patterned, or that in Paris's Cite de la Musique) know that the
proportions, materials, decor, etc. of these things in no way resemble the
original.  Should this be called a reproduction of a Lambert, one of "own
design," or even a "period" instrument at all?

Best,
Eugene