>Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:28:06 -0700 Arthur Ness wrote:
>
>I really dislike seeing my words misrepresented on these pages,
>first by Thames/Haskins, and now Ophee.

My sympathy to you. It is indeed difficult to see one's words
misrepresented. It is even more difficult to see complete distortion
and misrepresentations, not to mention deliberate falsification of
historically relevant data being posted on a public forum by people
who should have known better, and should have had some measure of
shame before posting. A discussion of one of your recent capers in
this direction is on the Spanish language forum Guitarra.artelinkado at:

http://tinyurl.com/7fj54

Ah, you do not know Spanish all that well? Ask Roman to translate. He
knows all the languages.

>Since my remarks are quite different from those of Ophee and
>Stenstadvold, they do not constitute plagiarism.

Let's get to the misrepresentation issue first, since you are so
upset about misrepresentations. Earlier today you said:

 >    I found the piece. It's "Recollections of Ireland" by Leonardo Schultz
 >(Op.41). It's RiBs ms244c in that immense collection of guitar music at the
 >Royal Library in Copenhagen

To present this as your recent find, when you knew damn well that I
published this piece in paper format in 1984, and when it ran out of
print, I posted it on line in 1997, at which time you chose to
criticize it on RMCG, in other words, you knew that it was there, is
nothing short of a scandalous usurpation of my work. You found
nothing. It was presented to you on a silver platter by myself, not
only through my publication of the piece, but also through my
publication of the R&BS catalog.

You may not like my edition, which is your right, and you may very
well do one all by yourself from scratch, but you cannot ignore my
work and pretend it did not exist. People are getting thrown out of
graduate school on a lot less than that.

>Besides, Ophee's edition has so many mistakes, I couldn't refer to
>it to make my point about Beethoven influences.

An interesting point but hardly earth shaking. Schulz was born in
Vienna when Beethoven was still alive, so it does not take rocket
science to assume a Beethoven influence, but it is a good question if
the influence was on Schulz, or on the copyist J.G. Holm sometimes in
the 1880s. You do not know that, and I do not know that and to make
the assertion of a Beethoven influence on the basis of such an
amateurish piece of copyist work, is to beg the question of your
understanding of basic paleography.

As for the mistakes in my edition: since the J.G. Holm abschrift from
which I worked is now available for free download, anybody can
compare the two and reach their own conclusions. I am not even
prepared to argue with you which are the mistakes you referring to,
since no one had ever seen the actual original copy by Schulz himself.

>   Something neither Ophee or E.S. mention.

Of course we did not, because both of us, as much as we disagreed
with each other, knew damn well that Beethoven was not even in the
picture and to bring him in here could only be a figment of a very
fertile imagination.

>I'll stand on my F naturals, which both MO and ES turn to F sharps.

My original printed edition did have the F naturals, and that was the
point on which Erik criticized it. Eventually, in our discussions on
RMCG, you were the one who told me (Remember, all of this is still
on-line in the Google archives of RMCG) that Erik was right and I was
wrong, and I should put the sharp back in. As I explain in my on-line
article, I eventually made the change not because of what you and
Erik said, but for my own reasons. I any case, the critical apparatus
attached to the edition clearly spells out the available choices and
each guitarist can make up his or her mind without being spoon-fed by
you or by me.

But now that I got your attention: can you please tell me where you
got the spelling Leonardo Schultz from?

I am listening. Intently.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,