It puzzles me too, but it came in a acoustic experiment by a friend who
noticed that in extended passages of parralel 10ths (a lot more than in
3rds) on a ren. lute meantone overinflections become offputting. A similar
sutiation was reported by a different friend on a temperamentally
programmable syntheziser.
RT