Bill
        I envy your memorizing abilities. I have just been thinking what
your situation implies. You obviously must have found a way of
learning all pieces by heart.
I find that extremely difficult, but began trying to do so after
reading an article by Matthew Wadsworth on that question, in the
English lute journal. He mentions three different facets of his
memorizing process, and their various advantages, which includes a
better knowledge of the music's structure. I imagine that the abilty
to improvize must pass through an abitlity to "comprehend" (in the
original sense of that word) a music's structure in that way. Paolo
Pondolfo,gambist, in his notes to his Improvisando, Glossa, implies
that relying on muscial notation brings a loss of the interior
knowledge of the music and with it the abiltiy to constantly recreate
by improvisation. Without going that far, there may be an element of
truth in this; at least I can imagine this could make an interesting
topic for further discussion.
Best regards
Anthony