Let's not read too deep into Igor's comments. I think this was directed to
me, at my audacity in suggesting that I may know better. While I am well
capable of performing Forqueray, I think to record a version of my
own online with the sole purpose to prove that I can interpret Forqueray
"better" is a bit too much effort!

The current early music movement has created itself certain national styles,
which I think many of us can detect. I think Igor statement is a very casual
one.

There are certain things that are make our musical decisions
more historically accurate. While the interpretation of the information we
have from the past can change, the facts cannot. The viol community of late
17th/early 18th century was dominated by a group viol/lute/theorbo/guitar
players that we have enough information about to make pretty OK guesses when
it comes to instrumentation. I'm sure that many will agree that an archlute
is not the best instrument to use to accompany these works.

>From the duo's decision, we can safely conclude that these historical
issues didn't really matter to them. That's fine by me. But I think some of
us would like to know the music would change if the choice of continuo
instrument was different.

David: While you might find the theorbo too muddy on the low notes of the
viol, the aesthetic of the day points towards low, low, low! Two viols would
be even more redundant. The solo viol part doubles the bass line more than
half the time.

I hope we are all free criticize on this list!

Shaun