On lutes, would it only have been nine course lutes that had this double first course (as the one Martin Shepherd recorded with recently, and Dowland is said to have played), or were 10c, or even some 11c lutes strung that way (even if there are no extant ones, can we be sure, they just did not survive, or is there some reference to them as dated or old fashioned)?

If I remember correctly, Martin was recently playing 10c Jacques Gautier music with his 9c, so I suppose the ninth course is tuned to C-10, and has to be stopped down to obtain the D-9? Can most transitional 10c lute music be played on such a lute, a little like playing 8c lute music on a 7c lute, with the 7c tuned to D (as I usually do)? Would this work well with most transitional music (Cuthbert Hely, for example who seems to have been a contemporary of Jacques), or might there be a sort of break off point, where the double top or the 9c would be more incongruous?
Anthony