Dear David and All,

On the double/single second:

The painting which comes immediately to mind is the anonynous French(?) one in the Kunsthalle at Hamburg, with red bass strings. It was reproduced on the cover of Early Music a few years ago.

In surviving instruments there is the ivory 11c in the V&A in London (1125-1869) - the one with the 9-rib back and elaborate neck veneer. The Schele 13c lute in Nuremberg, dated 1727 (?converted from 11c?). Of course we have so few surviving 11c lutes of any kind, probably iconography is a happier hunting ground. How about the engraving in the Rhetorique des Dieux? I can't be sure of the number of strings or pegs.

Best wishes,

Martin