Ooops,

Just a further clarification:

I've never seen an 11 or 13c lute with a double first. Mace is the only late source for it, and perhaps it was just him being old-fashioned.

It seems likely that a single 2nd was the result of converting a 10c lute into 11c. The easy way to do the conversion is to add a treble rider to get an extra peg and make the second course single, so you don't have to rebuild the pegbox. All you have to do then is extend the bridge and nut by one more course on the bass side; you end up with an overhanging 11th course but that's OK because you don't want to finger it anyway.

When 11c lutes were made anew there would have been no reason to have a single second, though once it had become common in converted lutes it may have persisted thereafter.

Best wishes,

Martin