I think relativeley rare is about right, maybe medium rare. There are enough examples that we know that there was a presence, and not truly rare, but not enough examples to think in terms of "either or". Some very interseting iconography for earlier instruments as well. It is a terrific sound, and in some sense is easier, because you can strike the courses pretty close to the same way.

I also think that from a technique point of view, that the double top course prevents some of the more moderm styles od striking the string from creeping in.

dt