Everything BECOMES easier once you master that doubled first-
(speaking only of my own experience, of course). Everything I knew
about good tone production had to be enhanced ten fold in order to
strike that first course cleanly, solidly, gently-but-firmly (or the
other way around?) because I had got very used to hitting a single
string with one kind or touch, or feel, and immediately altering the
touch however slightly when moving to the second course. There's a
reason why that 1st course is named "chanterelle"- there it is, right
on top, and when you suddenly have TWO prima donnas having to sing in
perfect unison the whole game tightens up. Very well worth it,
however- much less "splatting" of carelessly struck strings anywhere
on the lute, cleaner general sound. I find that (so far) I can switch
between the doubled 1st on one instrument and singles pretty easily
now.
--Dan