Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:49 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Francesco da Milano - Ness 33

Fine, Peter, but 34 is another story altogether, isn't it ? "La Compagna", perfect, but not "La Sosia" ;-). The contrapuntal oprtions in the introductory motive are slightly, but significantly different. It seems impossible to me to adopt the same rhythmical symetry (semibreve, quarter, quarter) in the introduction and its answer in 33; I feel that Arthur's option, comforted by the English version in Cambridge Add Ms 3056, is more satisfactory and preserves the coherence in the imitation. But of course, that's only my twopence... :-) Among the recordings I could put my hands on, Paul O'Dette, Chris Wilson, Anthony Bailes, Massimo Lonardi, Hopkinson Smith share this opinion and all choose to play the "rectified" version (3 semi breves at the opening), perhaps it is not just a hasard ?

Best,

Jean-Marie

== En réponse au message du 24-11-2010, 14:25:10 ==

  We should look also at the next piece in the Siena manuscript, La
  Compagna, which opens with the same theme and rhythm, suggesting that
  number 33 was written as intended, and doesn't need to be changed.
  That's what I play...... :)

  On 24 November 2010 12:56, Jean-Marie Poirier