To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:30 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Francesco da Milano - Ness 33

There are several issues here.
The first is that the opening note may be said to have an implied
coronoa, or fermata in the historical sense, creating a time free
zone (TFZ) which may be played longer or shorter, or with graces
appropriate to beginning a piece.
The mss sources support this. In this respect, the first note is like
the last note.

Second is that, similar to a "tonal" imitative answer there is a
"rhythmic" imitative answer: in both cases the "answer" may be
different than the opening statement. NB The first statement is not
always the "real" statement
It is tempting to correct No 33 according to No 34, but that makes
two assumptions, one, that the first note is not qualitatively
different in some respect, and, second, that there is some sort of
urtext, e.g. the comopser's intent.

The idea of an urtext has been largely discredited--the main reason
is that the sources do not support it. Even Bach's cello suites do
not have an urtext.

Nonetheless, the two make a great pair of pieces, and I for one am
grateful that there are different versions of these and other pieces.

dt