Interesting that you mention silent movies.
Yes, those gestures were exaggerated and contrived to compensate for the lack
of sound.
Some of the techniques were hold-overs from theatre in an era when lighting was
poor.
  A friend of mine who is a cinematographer says, "Video is 90% audio".  The
silent movie era
had to rely on gross gestures and facial expressions coupled with Wurlitzer
organ
accompaniments to make up for that 90%.
  And, YES, it's way cool what the good directors did.  Have you seen what Abel
Gance did
with "Napolean"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napol%C3%A9on_%281927_film%29
  Tom